“The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.” Psalm 145:18
- Please pray for a California woman who is recovering from a serious brain injury. She will require extensive therapy, but is starting to show signs of improvement. The hospital initially said she would never recover and never breathe on her own, but she is no longer on a ventilator and is now in speech therapy!
- Please pray for Josh Barras, a disabled man whose wife planned to withdraw his food and water. We are representing Josh’s mother. A trial to determine guardianship has been set for June 16, 2022.
- Please pray for a pro-lifer who was charged with a felony for entering an abortion clinic and pleading with the abortionist to stop killing babies. Preliminary hearing is scheduled for June 13, 2022.
- Please pray for Carol Everett and The Heidi Group, a network of pro-life women’s clinics in Texas. They have been under attack by the media, government bureaucrats, and even former employees since qualifying for state grant funding that would otherwise have gone to Planned Parenthood. We are moving forward with litigation.
- Leroy Carhart (Germantown, MD): Life Legal is assisting in two lawsuits filed by a Maryland attorney on behalf of two women who were seriously injured following late term abortions. The case is currently in discovery through fall of 2022.
- Washington DC Rescue: Nine pro-lifers were arrested by federal agents in March on FACE Act and conspiracy charges in connection with a rescue at Washington Surgi-Clinic, which is run by notorious late-term abortionist Cesare Santangelo. Initial hearings were set for early April 2022. No additional hearings scheduled yet.
- People v. Demi Giro (Roseville, CA): Elderly pro-life advocates attacked by 28-year-old woman at PP near Sacramento. Assailant was cited for elder abuse, assault, and theft of pro-lifer’s phone. Initially, Roseville DA’s office declined to prosecute, but we contacted the office and charges were filed. Victory: Assailant served 30 days in jail for vandalism starting October 5, 2021 and was ordered to pay restitution and complete anger management. She is currently on probation through August 2022.
- Dobbs v. JWHO (Jackson, MS): Last abortion clinic in Mississippi challenged the state’s 15-week-abortion ban. Justice Samuel Alito’s draft opinion, which would overturn Roe v. Wade, was leaked to Politico on May 2, 2022. Please pray that Alito’s draft reflects the majority of the Court and that Roe is overturned!
- Planned Parenthood v. Center for Medical Progress: After a six-week jury trial at the end of 2019, the jury returned a verdict in favor of PP. Judge William Orrick denied all of plaintiffs’ post-trial motions, so the jury’s verdict stands unless overturned on appeal. We filed our opening brief on behalf of Life Legal client Albin Rhomberg with the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals on February 26, 2021. Rhomberg was sued in his capacity as a founding CMP board member. Please pray for Albin as well as defendants David Daleiden, Sandra Merritt, Troy Newman, and Adrian Lopez. Life Legal argued before the 9th Circuit in April, 2022. Please pray for a favorable outcome!
- Alabama Department of Public Health: Life Legal sent numerous demand letters to the Alabama Department of Public Health (“ADPH”) seeking comprehensive investigations of abortion clinics in Alabama. Most recently, we demanded an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of a woman who died at a local hospital the day she obtained an abortion at West Alabama Women’s Center (WAWC) in Tuscaloosa. We also urged ADPH to revoke the abortion license issued to Planned Parenthood Birmingham because of its false advertising. ADPH declined to take any action in response to the demands. Recently, someone delivered four large trash bags of medical waste and WAWC patient intake forms to Fr. Terry Gensemer of the Charismatic Episcopal Church (CEC). We filed a complaint with the AL Dept. of Environmental Management re improper disposal of hazardous medical waste, but the agency found no violations. We are evaluating legal options.
- Baby Q v. Kay Ivey (Montgomery, AL): Life Legal and Alabama attorney Sam McClure filed petition for writ of mandamus on behalf of “Baby Q,” a pseudonymous African-American preborn baby, and “next of friend” Amie Beth Shaver asking the court to enforce Alabama’s Amendment 930, which recognizes the sanctity of life of unborn children. Court granted abortionists motion to dismiss on May 5, 2022. McClure filed notice of appeal to Alabama Supreme Court on May 19, 2022.
- State of Louisiana v. Puckett and Goodman (Baton Rouge, LA)—Red Rose Rescuers who entered an abortion clinic to save babies and moms. Arrested and facing charges of Failure to Disperse. Trial was set for May 12, 2022, but has been postponed.
- The Heidi Group v Texas HHSC (Austin, TX): Former Planned Parenthood clinic owner turned pro-life advocate Carol Everett received state funding to start a network of pro-life health clinics (The Heidi Group) to compete with PP. Several Texas papers published hit pieces on Carol after HHSC released results of an incomplete investigation alleging she committed fraud as she allegedly did not serve the number of clients required under the grant contract. HHSC then terminated Carol’s grant without explanation. The Office of the Inspector General released the results of its audit in July 2021, finding no evidence of fraud. Life Legal affiliate attorney Ed Watt filed suit against Texas HHSC and other state and individual defendants in March 2022.
- Baby “Olivia” (Washington, DC): Life Legal has been assisting the mother of a 5-month-old infant who suffered a brain injury shortly after birth. The hospital wanted to remove care immediately. We brought in a local attorney and the hospital backed off. The baby is scheduled to be transferred to home care on June 7.
- Western Washington University (Bellingham, WA): Pro-life groups attacked at Western WA University. Police action pending for using knife to destroy signs. We are contemplating civil action to include hate crime.
- Jackson Women’s Health (Jackson, MS): Deathscort who was disrupting pro-life vigil by honking her horn while driving around abortion facility hit a pro-lifer with her car. Civil action is underway.
- Jackson Women’s Health (Jackson, MS): Deathscorts harassed and issued death threats against a pro-lifer. Investigation underway.
- SB 742: Challenge filed to California law that prohibits leafleting or counseling within 30 feet of any person who is within 100 feet of the entrance of any “vaccination site,” including any Planned Parenthood or other abortion mill that provides Gardasil or other vaccines. VICTORY! (for now anyway) Judge enjoined the entire statute. Motion for summary judgment (and alternatively, preliminary injunction) filed February 9. A hearing on this motion as well as the AG’s own motion for summary judgment was held on April 27.
- AB1356: Filed TRO motion to enjoin California law that prohibits video recording outside abortion clinics with the specific intent to keep someone from becoming a client of the facility filed on behalf of sidewalk counselors. Judge denied TRO and asked for simultaneous briefing on whether the plaintiffs had standing because they did not have the requisite “intent to intimidate.” Briefs filed on January 17 and we are awaiting further direction from the court.
- SB 380: Filed lawsuit with ADF in March to challenge California statute that removes safeguards from California’s assisted suicide law and forces doctors to participate in suicide. Doctors are now required to provide documentation needed for patients to obtain lethal drugs. We are representing the Christian Medical and Dental Assn.
- VICTORY! Life Legal filed a lawsuit to challenge California’s SB 245, which would have prohibited pro-lifers from many activities outside abortion clinics, including holding signs, approaching women to provide them with information, etc. The judge temporarily blocked enforcement of the entire statute! We are waiting for a permanent ruling from the court.
- VICTORY! Sidewalk counselor John K. was criminally cited outside an abortion mill in Louisiana. We were able to secure the dismissal of all charges!
- VICTORY! An 18-year-old 40-day participant was attacked outside an abortion mill in Baltimore, MD. We urged the city to file criminal charges against the assailant, which they did. The assailant recently pled guilty and will be sentenced.
- VICTORY! Police in Everett, Washington erected metal barricades in front of a Planned Parenthood clinic to keep pro-lifers off of the public sidewalk. We issued a demand to the City Attorney and Chief of Police that they stop interfering with constitutionally-protected speech. The City removed the barricades.