“The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.” Psalm 145:18
- Please pray for an Oregon man who went to the hospital for a minor procedure. The hospital refuses to do the procedure and is withholding treatment. The man is now suffering numerous health setbacks. We are working with a local attorney to compel the hospital to provide proper medical care.
- Please pray for Josh Barras, a disabled man whose wife planned to withdraw his food and water. A local attorney was able to obtain a court order to continue his treatment. The next hearing in the case is scheduled for January 18, 2022.
- Please pray for a pro-lifer who has been charged with battery for tapping an abortion facility “deathscort” on the back and asking her to move after she blocked him from speaking to a woman entering the facility. His hearing is December 29, 2021.
- Please pray for two Red Rose Rescuers whose trial has been continued to next year.
- Please pray for two Red Rose Rescuers who were arrested last fall in Washington DC. A status hearing in the case has been postponed..
- Please pray for Carol Everett and The Heidi Group, a network of pro-life women’s clinics in Texas. They have been under attack by the media, government bureaucrats, and even former employees since qualifying for state grant funding that would otherwise have gone to Planned Parenthood. We are moving forward with litigation.
- Leroy Carhart (Germantown, MD)—We are assisting in two lawsuits filed by a Maryland attorney on behalf of two women who were seriously injured following late term abortions.
- People v. Moscinski, et al (Washington, DC): Red Rose Rescuers arrested for trespass after they entered abortion mill in Washington DC to pray for and with women inside. Clinic owner is notorious late-term abortionists Steven Brigham, who lost his license in 7 states for gross negligence. Arraigned in July 2021. Non-jury trial set for March 9, 2022.
- People v. Demi Giro (Roseville, CA): Elderly pro-life advocates attacked by 28-year-old woman at PP near Sacramento. Assailant was cited for elder abuse, assault, and theft of pro-lifer’s phone. Initially, Roseville DA’s office declined to prosecute, but we contacted the office and charges were filed. Victory: Assailant served 30 days in jail for vandalism starting October 5, 2021 and was ordered to pay restitution and complete anger management. She is currently on probation through August 2022.
- People v. Survivors and Pro-life SF: Baby body parts experimentation protest at UCSF resulted in several arrests. Criminal proceedings pending. Second arrest in July and arraignment pending. Civil action under consideration.
- Dobbs v. JWHO (Jackson, MS): Last abortion clinic in Mississippi challenge to MS’s post-15-week-abortion ban. Life Legal filed an amicus brief drawing from our white paper on perinatal survival, arguing that Roe and Casey’s use of the “point” of viability as a boundary for the constitutionality of abortion restrictions was illogical and unworkable. The Supreme Court granted certiorari. Mississippi has asked the Court to overrule Roe and Casey. Over 80 amicus briefs were filed, and most of those also asked the Court to overrule Roe and Casey. Life Legal filed an amicus brief as well. The Court heard oral argument on Dec 1, 2021. Please pray that the Court would overturn Roe!
- Planned Parenthood v. Center for Medical Progress: After a six-week jury trial at the end of 2019, the jury returned a verdict in favor of PP. Judge William Orrick denied all of plaintiffs’ post-trial motions, so the jury’s verdict stands unless overturned on appeal. We filed our opening brief on behalf of Life Legal client Albin Rhomberg with the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals on February 26, 2021. Rhomberg was sued in his capacity as a founding CMP board member. Please pray for Albin as well as defendants David Daleiden, Sandra Merritt, Troy Newman, and Adrian Lopez. David and his colleague Sandra Merritt are also facing criminal charges arising from their investigatory work. After a three-week preliminary hearing in San Francisco, eight of the sixteen felony criminal charges remain against Merritt and ten charges against Daleiden remain. October 2020 appeal on remaining charges filed at the California Supreme court. Trial anticipated in 2022.
- Alabama Department of Public Health: Life Legal sent numerous demand letters to the Alabama Department of Public Health (“ADPH”) seeking comprehensive investigations of abortion clinics in Alabama. Most recently, we demanded an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of a woman who died at a local hospital the day she obtained an abortion at West Alabama Women’s Center in Tuscaloosa. We also urged ADPH to revoke the abortion license issued to Planned Parenthood Birmingham because of its false advertising. The letter further demanded regular and consistent inspections of all abortion clinics in the state of Alabama to all ensure correction of any deficiencies reported by the ADPH, including failure to properly monitor patients after surgical abortions, expired medications and surgical supplies, and failure to ensure that patients did not leave the clinic with an incomplete abortion. ADPH declined to take any action in response to the demand. We are working with the Charismatic Episcopal Church (CEC) for Life in Alabama and are contemplating filing a writ petition asking the court to compel ADPH to conduct thorough inspections of Alabama’s abortion clinics.
- Alabama Board of Medical Examiners (BME): Life Legal filed a complaint with the BME and the Alabama Department of Public Health against abortionist Willie Parker regarding sexual misconduct allegations. We are asking both agencies to investigate the sexual assault claims to determine whether Parker’s patients are in danger of predatory behavior and sexual intimidation.
- Baby Q v. Kay Ivey (Montgomery, AL): Life Legal and a local Alabama attorney filed petition for writ of mandamus on behalf of “Baby Q,” a pseudonymous African-American preborn baby, and “next of friend” Amie Beth Shaver asking the court to enforce Alabama’s Amendment 930, which recognizes the sanctity of life of unborn children. The local attorney is looking for intervenors. Hearing date anticipated once motions to intervene are filed.
- Wisconsin v. Heald (Milwaukee, WI): A pro-life protester was cited for violating the state’s stay-at-home order. Charges are pending.
- VICTORY! Pro-lifer in California was cited for battery as she attempted to retrieve from a PP employee a phone she had loaned to a patient. We were able to get all charges dismissed.
- VICTORY! Life Legal filed a lawsuit against a senior Google employee who attacked a pro-lifer outside a Washington DC abortion clinic. A favorable settlement has been reached in the case.
- VICTORY! Sidewalk counselor John K. was criminally cited outside an abortion mill in Louisiana. We were able to secure the dismissal of all charges!
- VICTORY! An 18-year-old 40-day participant was attacked outside an abortion mill in Baltimore, MD. We urged the city to file criminal charges against the assailant, which they did. The assailant recently pled guilty and will be sentenced.
- VICTORY! Police in Everett, Washington erected metal barricades in front of a Planned Parenthood clinic to keep pro-lifers off of the public sidewalk. We issued a demand to the City Attorney and Chief of Police that they stop interfering with constitutionally-protected speech. The City removed the barricades.