“The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.” Psalm 145:18
- Please pray for Josh Barras, a disabled man whose wife planned to withdraw his food and water. A local attorney was able to obtain a court order to continue his treatment. The next hearing in the case was scheduled for July 19, but has been postponed to next month.
- Please pray for two Red Rose Rescuers who go to trial in Louisiana on August 9, 2021.
- Please pray for six Red Rose Rescuers who were arrested in Ohio. The trial for the first four rescuers is scheduled for July 9, 2021.
- Please pray for two Red Rose Rescuers who were arrested last fall in Washington DC. Their trial is scheduled for July 8, 2021.
- Please pray for Carol Everett and The Heidi Group, a network of pro-life women’s clinics. They have been under attack by the media, government bureaucrats, and even former employees since qualifying for state grant funding that would otherwise have gone to Planned Parenthood. Life Legal attorneys are working to restore their funding and send the message that abortion is NOT health care.
- Dobbs v. JWHO (Jackson, MS): The last remaining abortion clinic in Mississippi filed a legal challenge to the states ban on abortions after 15 weeks. The trial court and the Court of Appeals blocked enforcement of the ban, saying it conflicts with Supreme Court rulings, including Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey. Life Legal filed an amicus brief in support of the abortion ban. The Supreme Court recently decided to take up the case in its next session. This is the case at the front of the line to challenge Roe and Casey.
- Planned Parenthood v. Center for Medical Progress: After a six-week jury trial at the end of 2019, the jury returned a verdict in favor of PP. Judge William Orrick denied all of plaintiffs’ post-trial motions, so the jury’s verdict stands unless overturned on appeal. We filed our opening brief on behalf of Life Legal client Albin Rhomberg with the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals on February 26, 2021. Rhomberg was sued in his capacity as a founding CMP board member. Please pray for Albin as well as defendants David Daleiden, Sandra Merritt, Troy Newman, and Adrian Lopez. David and his colleague Sandra Merritt are also facing criminal charges arising from their investigatory work. After a three-week preliminary hearing in San Francisco, eight of the sixteen felony criminal charges remain against Merritt and ten charges against Daleiden remain. October 2020 appeal on remaining charges filed at the California Supreme court. Trial anticipated in late 2021 or early 2022.
- Ahn v. Hestrin: Life Legal’s challenge to California’s assisted suicide law, which we initially filed in June 2016, is back in trial court to determine whether the plaintiffs can establish their standing to challenge the law. We are battling California Attorney General Xavier Becerra and the Soros-funded pro-suicide group “Compassion and Choices.” Meanwhile, the California Legislature is considering amending the EOLA in various ways, including reducing the 15-day time period required to obtain the lethal drugs to 48 hours.
- People v. Haag: Red Rose Rescuer was convicted of trespassing at an abortion clinic. Her case, based on the necessity defense, is on appeal at the Washington DC Court of Appeals.
- Alabama Department of Public Health: Life Legal sent numerous demand letters to the Alabama Department of Public Health (“ADPH”) seeking comprehensive investigations of abortion clinics in Alabama. Most recently, we demanded an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of a woman who died at a local hospital the day she obtained an abortion at West Alabama Women’s Center in Tuscaloosa. We also urged ADPH to revoke the abortion license issued to Planned Parenthood Birmingham because of its false advertising. The letter further demanded regular and consistent inspections of all abortion clinics in the state of Alabama to all ensure correction of any deficiencies reported by the ADPH, including failure to properly monitor patients after surgical abortions, expired medications and surgical supplies, and failure to ensure that patients did not leave the clinic with an incomplete abortion. ADPH declined to take any action in response to the demand. We are working with the Charismatic Episcopal Church (CEC) for Life in Alabama and are contemplating filing a writ petition asking the court to compel ADPH to conduct thorough inspections of Alabama’s abortion clinics.
- Alabama Board of Medical Examiners (BME): Life Legal filed a complaint with the BME and the Alabama Department of Public Health against abortionist Willie Parker regarding sexual misconduct allegations. We are asking both agencies to investigate the sexual assault claims to determine whether Parker’s patients are in danger of predatory behavior and sexual intimidation.
- Baby Q v. Kay Ivey (Montgomery, AL): Life Legal and a local Alabama attorney filed petition for writ of mandamus on behalf of “Baby Q,” a pseudonymous African-American preborn baby, and “next of friend” Amie Beth Shaver asking the court to enforce Alabama’s Amendment 930, which recognizes the sanctity of life of unborn children.
- Wisconsin v. Heald (Milwaukee, WI): A pro-life protester was cited for violating the state’s stay-at-home order. Charges are pending.
- People v. Griepp (Queens, NY): The Attorney General of New York targeted pro-lifers at an abortion clinic in Jamaica, Queens, for a lengthy investigation and a lawsuit for violating the federal Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances (FACE) and similar state and city laws. After a three-week preliminary hearing, the federal district court judge found (almost) no wrongdoing. The AG appealed, and a 3-member panel of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals ruled 2-1 that FACE Act violations could include such activity as handing literature to people as they drive into the parking lot or causing even a 1-second delay in someone entering the abortion mill. Life Legal filed an amicus brief in support of the pro-lifers on behalf of 40 Days for Life, Californians for Life, Pro-Life Action Ministries, and Issues for Life. We recently heard that the Second Circuit Court of Appeals will review the case, but no ruling has been issued yet.
- State of Louisiana v. Puckett and Goodman (Baton Rouge, LA): Red Rose Rescuers were arrested after they entered an abortion clinic to save babies and moms. The are facing charges of Failure to Disburse. Trial was originally set for March, but has been rescheduled for this summer.
- People v. Hathaway (San Mateo, CA): A pro-lifer was cited for battery as she attempted to retrieve from a Planned Parenthood employee a cell phone she had loaned to a patient. Charges are pending.
- Mahanoy School District v. B.L. (Mahanoy, PA): Supreme Court case concerning whether schools can discipline students for off campus speech on social media. We are concerned that this case could have seriously implications on off-campus pro-life speech and filed an amicus brief. The case was argued April 28, 2021. Ruling is pending.
- VICTORY! Life Legal filed a lawsuit against a senior Google employee who attacked a pro-lifer outside a Washington DC abortion clinic. A favorable settlement has been reached in the case.
- VICTORY! Sidewalk counselor John K. was criminally cited outside an abortion mill in Louisiana. We were able to secure the dismissal of all charges!
- VICTORY! An 18-year-old 40-day participant was attacked outside an abortion mill in Baltimore, MD. We urged the city to file criminal charges against the assailant, which they did. The assailant recently pled guilty and will be sentenced.
- VICTORY! Police in Everett, Washington erected metal barricades in front of a Planned Parenthood clinic to keep pro-lifers off of the public sidewalk. We issued a demand to the City Attorney and Chief of Police that they stop interfering with constitutionally-protected speech. The City removed the barricades.